Q: battery not charging light came on

Started engine yesterday battery not charging light came on, gauge show it was out putting 6 to 9 volts. Check Battery terminals to make sure they were clean and getting good contact. Made sure belts were not off, etc. Came out next morning ready to remove the battery and alternator for testing. Started the truck and battery not charging light came on an then went off as out put climbed to normal 14 volts.

What is getting ready to go bad?

I would still recommend getting the alternator and battery tested. The most likely cause would be the alternator. The alternator can have an intermittent failure that causes it to charge and not charge randomly. If this turns out to be the case after testing, I would recommend having the alternator replaced. I would also be a good idea to have the battery fully charged while the alternator is being replaced to ensure that the vehicle starts easily. If you need help testing the vehicle, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the battery light and proceed with the correct repair.

3. battery not charging light came on