Q: Airbag light indicates passenger sensor problem

I have been told that a passenger sensor problem is indicated by the passenger airbag light being on. This is what happened: while driving with one passenger (around 110 lbs), suddenly the passenger airbag light came on. This is alarming because if an accident were to occur, the airbag might not deploy and the passenger could be injured. I have researched on the internet and this is a common problem with my make/model. The sensor is a thick plastic circuit and is located under the seat covering and can get worn out. Please give me your diagnosis and what should be done.

The sensor for a passenger sitting in this seat is a common failure item yes. The unit is pretty expensive and the fabric of the seat cushion must be removed to access and replace this component unless a new and hopefully upgraded assembly is purchased from the manufacturer. This can be a dangerous situation for a passenger especially one that is not wearing a seat belt. I would suggest getting some help from a certified technician to diagnose this issue with your Air Bag Light so that it can be fixed safely and properly.