Q: How do I test which camshaft sensor is bad? My Check Engine Light is on and the scanner says a bad camshaft sensor is at fault.

how to test which cam sencor is bad my engine light on and scanner says bad cam sencor

A: There is only one cam position sensor on th...

There is only one cam position sensor on this engine, located just in front of the oil filler cap.

Testing camshaft/crankshaft sensor failures, unfortunately, often only has 2 options for testing a suspect component:

1. Replace it with a known working part to see if it solves the problem.

2. Get out your oscilloscope and start looking at wave patterns.

Simple "resistance" testing with an ohm meter while not running will only predict a completely failed sensor with which the car would not run.

If you need help with this, have your camshaft sensor and Check Engine Light inspected further by a certified technician such as one from YourMechanic to confirm this diagnosis, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. YourMechanic can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for this repair.