Q: New power steering pump still hard to turn with white smoke and fluid leaking

I had the power steering pump replaced on my 2003 Ford Taurus. Car is making a loud whirring sound and is still a little difficult to turn. Power steering fluid is everywhere under the hood and causing a lot of white smoke.

A: Hello. Can you tell where the power steerin...

Hello. Can you tell where the power steering fluid leak is coming from? The smoke is likely just the power steering fluid burning off on the hot engine. The steering is likely hard because you are low on power steering fluid from the leak. This means the fluid pressure can not build like it needs to in order to provide assistance with steering. If you must drive the vehicle right now, make sure you top off the power steering fluid before you drive it! This should get you by for one or two quick trips. The issue with the pump will need to be inspected to diagnose. The leak can come from damage, a bad pump, a bad seal, a loose bolt, and other issues. The best thing to do is clean the area and inspect the problem.