Q: Noisy when I go over bumps, ride isn’t smooth

I have had problems with the suspension in my 2010 Kia Soul almost since I bought it. I'm very disappointed with the reliability so far, as the car is only at 44,000 miles. I'm on my second set of shocks and struts, yet these are making noise and not smoothing out the ride like they should. How do I go about fixing this issue once and for all? Is this car a lemon? Maybe I need beefier suspension for the roads I use? I don’t even know where to start!

A: The manufacturer shocks in the rear and the...

The manufacturer shocks in the rear and the struts in the front do not seem to last very long before getting noisy or causing poor ride conditions. This seems to be a very common issue with other owners also. Many owners are purchasing aftermarket shocks and struts of higher quality to fix their vehicles. The suspensions on these vehicles are light duty, like a car suspension, and are used to hold the heavier weight of the Soul’s body, causing them to wear out sooner. My suggestion is to have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, throughly inspect your front and rear suspension for problems and if replacements are needed, request to have a heavy duty spring, strut, and shock assembly installed on your vehicle.