Q: Plastic intake manifold on the North Star engine.

Can I replace it with a metal one? I've had it fixed before, but my car sat up for almost 3yrs. Got it going again and something backfired when I tried to start it one day. Sounds like something is loose when engine is running.

A: Hi there. The 1993 Northstar intake is made...

Hi there. The 1993 Northstar intake is made of magnesium, and has a different system for "blowout" or backfiring protection. It has been used by some folks who have had bad experiences with the "plastic" intake manifolds. There will be other differences as well between the ’99 and the ’93, but it may be worth doing. The location of the fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail changes as well. The engine was largely re-designed for 2000 and forward, so no help there. If you run into any issues, consider enlisting one of our mobile technicians who can come to your location to inspect and service your vehicle. Best of luck.