Q: How does the side air bag off indicator work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the side air bag off indicator work?

If your Accord is equipped with side air bags, you’ll note an additional light in your dash. In the US, Honda uses a light that reads, “Side Air Bag Off.” This light will come on in several situations:

• If the light is on, it means that the passenger side air bag has been turned off.

• If the light is on, it means the system has detected weight in the passenger seat insufficient for an adult (the presence of an infant, for instance). The air bag is turned off to prevent potential injury.

Tip

If the light comes on without a passenger in the seat, there could be a problem with the system. However, objects in the seat can be enough to trigger the system and turn on the light/turn the side air bag off.