Q: Coolant leak after water pump repair

The car was with the mechanic @ dealership for 6 days while they fixed the water pump. After a couple hours of driving the fixed car, the 'check coolant' warning appeared. I topped it up, but the coolant keeps disappearing after minutes of driving. What's the likelyhood that this is a new unrelated problem, or a mechanics error?

It’s possible that there was another problem that was not discovered when you first took the car in. It’s also equally possible that there was an error made in the pump replacement. Slide a clean piece of paper or cardboard under the car when you park it and have a look in the morning. If there is a coolant leak, you will probably see a spot on the paper and it will help you track it down and see if it is in the area of the water pump. If there is no apparent leak, then your coolant may be going out the tailpipe via a bad head gasket. You should take the car back to the dealer and work it out. But if you think you might feel a little more comfortable getting the leak checked out before you do, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your coolant leak and tell you what needs to be done.

If there are no visible coolant leaks, and there is no evidence in the motor oil of coolant contamination (the oil would essentially look like a chocolate milkshake), then the only likely source of the problem is a leaking heater core. If you are smelling any sign of coolant in the car, that would also point to a leaking heater core. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing this loss of coolant.

3. Coolant leak after water pump repair