My car makes a loud knocking noise when I accelerate put...

Q: My car makes a loud knocking noise when I accelerate put four quarts of oil knocking now comes and goes

asked by on July 23, 2017

My car made a knocking noise when I accelerate my oil light just came on my husband put four qoutes of oil in the car the knocking is still there but it's less noticeable when I accelerate

If you had to add 4 quarts of oil when you noticed the knocking sound then the engine bearings may have already been damaged. The noise is most likely coming from crankshaft and rod bearings. You should have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic listen to the knock to see if you need to have the engine replaced or overhauled if it can be.