Q: Hard clunk noise shifting/downshifting in 2nd & 3rd

While driving and I am shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear, there is a hard clunk noise. This also happens when I am downshifting from 3rd down to 2nd gear. I went to the local dealer to have this fixed, but was told that this clunking noise is ‘normal’ for a 4WD truck. I have had many 4WD GMC vehicles in the past and none of them had this kind of shifting problem. What is causing this hard clunking noise so that I will know how to get it fixed?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD. Since you say it only happens when shifting between 2nd and 3rd, my guess is that the noise is internal to the transmission. A faulty shift solenoid could also be the problem, but then the Check Engine Light would likely be illuminated. The only way to know for certain is to have a professional listen to the noise firsthand. I suggest having a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect the shifting noise and make any necessary repairs.