Q: Will this service remove my check engine light and allow me to pass emissions?

I have error codes p2004(intake manifold runner control stuck open) and P2017 (intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit high). Will the Intake Manifold Runner Control Replacement service fix these issues? Does the mechanic clear the codes for me, and if so is this included in the quoted price? Are there any other fees associated with "Yourmechanic"?

A: The answer is "not necessarily" b...

The answer is "not necessarily" because the Codes you are reciting, P2004 and P2017 do NOT necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the intake manifold runner control valve itself. The only way to determine if that valve is actually malfunctioning is to operate it manually with a bi-directional scan tool, that is assuming the valve is actually electrically connected which is one of the possible faults that has to be checked during a Code P2004 diagnostic. Diagnostic trouble codes, such as P2004 and P2017, NEVER (or, at least "rarely") conclusively identify failed "parts". Every part, in this case a "valve", that is identified or referred to in a Code must be INDIVDUALLY tested before the part can be condemned. This testing and evaluation occurs during a Diagnostic. Codes, in reality are just "clues", that’s it. Just to give you an idea of the complexity, it is actually common to see Code P2004 simply because carbon buildup in the intake is causing the IMRC butterfly valve plates to become stuck. In that case, there is nothing wrong with the valve itself but the intake simply has to be cleaned of debris. If a wire powering the solenoid that operates the valve is broken, again the valve itself is fine, of course the wire has to be fixed. If anybody replaces a part on your car, ask them: "Did you test the part ITSELF?" Is the part bad or does the part appear bad, or not work, because of "something else". So, in the circumstance you are writing in about, with Code 2004, ANY of the following could account for the Code:

IMRC solenoid that is defective IMRC solenoid wiring that has shorts, breaks, or is frayed. IMRC solenoid circuitry that has shorted or is open IMRC solenoid connector that is corroded IMRC butterfly valve plate screws that are loose or broken IMRC butterfly valve plates that are broken IMRC butterfly valve plates that have disconnected from the IMRC actuator Vacuum control solenoid vacuum filter that is clogged Debris in the vacuum control solenoid Vacuum lines that are disconnected or broken AND, if other codes are set for, say, EGR, MAF, or BARO sensors, those problems themselves could cause the P2004 code to set.

The bottom line is a Check Engine Light Diagnostic has to be performed on your engine which in your case we know will generate at least those two codes, and hopefully no others. Once the codes are confirmed, then it has to be determined WHY the codes set. That "why" may or may not implicate any need for parts replacement but if it does you can be sure that the part is defective. And, yes, at the end of the process, whatever is done with regard to a resolution of those two codes, is considered final and conclusive unless in the succeeding days new, unrelated issues arise over which the Mechanic has no control. Once a repair is effected, the Codes are erased, and typically that is the end of the story. If you desire to have the issue diagnosed, as a Check Engine Light Diagnostic and then be apprised of the needed repair and cost, please set up a mobile appointment with YourMechanic and a certified mechanic will get this promptly and professionally resolved for you. Best wishes with this; I’m sure it will be resolved to your satisfaction and at the lowest cost possible.