Q: Starting problems, 1994 BMW 318is

asked by on August 26, 2016

My car has intermittent starting problems. I took it to the mechanic and they said the fuel pump went bad, but then found it was in fact just the fuse. After they had the fuse replaced, the car ran well for a couple of weeks and now has the same problem. What should I do?

Hello there. No start faults are common issues on older vehicles such as your 1994 BMW 318is. There are a variety of causes for a no start condition. The most likely are the starter, battery, ignition switch, fuel pump, fuel filter, or battery cables. If the fuse is repeatedly blowing to the fuel pump this is an indicating of a larger issue.

The fuse blows when the circuit draws too much power. This can be caused by a wiring fault, failing pump, or shorted wire. If you need further help with this, I recommend having a qualified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the no start firsthand and perform any repairs required.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr