Q: Engine surges and will not review over 2500 rpms

asked by on October 17, 2016

Engine starts fine but when you press gas pedal it shutters and will not review over 2500 rpms

Hi there. This may be a sign of a failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which often times results in the engine starving for air or fuel. This is what causes the hesitation or loss of power you describe. This can also cause the engine to struggle to idle for the same reason. I suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the stuttering problem and replace the sensor as necessary.