Q: Car temperature gets hot and makes a thumping noise.

my car gets really hot after a while of driving, once it gets hot and im sitting idle at a stop light or parked theres this popping sound that is in the thermostat area. once i cut the car off the noise goes away in about a second or two, then i check the coolant and theres nothing in the resivore tank, i fill it back up with coolant and let it sit for awhile i bleed the coolant lines and start her up, she does fine until the coolant gets wasted and then the problem comes back again. the fans work,theres no leak in the radiator that ive seen nor the water pump, i dont think the head gaskets are bad , theres no water in the oil. or the timimg chain cover.

A: Hello. If the engine is using coolant like ...

Hello. If the engine is using coolant like this then there is a serious issue. I usually do a pressure test of the cooling system first to make sure that there are no leaks. If there are no external leaks then I do a block test just to make sure that it does not have a bad head gasket. If the block test comes back negative then most of the time the issue is a bad intake manifold gasket.

The engine in your Oldsmobile Cutlass has a history of these failing which allows coolant to be burnt off in the engine. If you want to have this overheating and coolant loss issue checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.