Q: Firestone said I need to replace the left-outer tie rod ends. But, I'm not noticing any of the signs mentioned for this problem.

Took car to Firestone for diagnostics. Was having random problems with gear stick malfunctioning. While it didn't malfunction while at Firestone, they said I needed left-outer tie rod and front-left half shaft CV drive axle. I'm not noticing any problems or noises in turning, etc. How can I know for sure if what they said is true. They also said I had transmission leak. I'm on a fixed income and can't afford unnecessary repairs. Thanks!

Hello, thank you for writing in. With the issues you are having, the only way to confirm the issues is with another inspection. When it comes to the shifting issue, you want to check the transmission fluid level. If it is low, you will experience similar symptoms. From there the exact repair and cost will depend on where the fluid is leaking from. When it comes to your axle, symptoms of the issue may be as simple as a clicking noise. You can lift the front of the vehicle up and take a look at the axle and its boot. If the rubber boot is leaking grease, cracked, dry, or damaged then it needs to be replaced. Dirt will get inside and cause even more damage as it dries out and lacks lubrication. You can also push up and down, and back and forth on the wheel to check for excess play. For more help with the repair, or a second inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Firestone said I need to replace the left-outer tie rod ends. But, I'm not noticing any of the signs mentioned for this problem.