Q: Firestone said I need to replace the left-outer tie rod ends. But, I'm not noticing any of the signs mentioned for this problem.

asked by on

Took car to Firestone for diagnostics. Was having random problems with gear stick malfunctioning. While it didn't malfunction while at Firestone, they said I needed left-outer tie rod and front-left half shaft CV drive axle. I'm not noticing any problems or noises in turning, etc. How can I know for sure if what they said is true. They also said I had transmission leak. I'm on a fixed income and can't afford unnecessary repairs. Thanks!

My car has 130255 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.

Hello, thank you for writing in. With the issues you are having, the only way to confirm the issues is with another inspection. When it comes to the shifting issue, you want to check the transmission fluid level. If it is low, you will experience similar symptoms. From there the exact repair and cost will depend on where the fluid is leaking from. When it comes to your axle, symptoms of the issue may be as simple as a clicking noise. You can lift the front of the vehicle up and take a look at the axle and its boot. If the rubber boot is leaking grease, cracked, dry, or damaged then it needs to be replaced. Dirt will get inside and cause even more damage as it dries out and lacks lubrication. You can also push up and down, and back and forth on the wheel to check for excess play. For more help with the repair, or a second inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Was this answer helpful?
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details
  1. Home
  2. Questions
  3. Firestone said I need to replace the left-outer tie rod ends. But, I'm not noticing any of the signs mentioned for this problem.

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: My 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser is overheating

Hi there - there are a couple of possibilities. The simplest and most likely possible case, based on the recent thermostat replacement, is that the cooling system was not properly bled of air pockets, and is boiling coolant inside the...

Q: How to install or replace the shift shaft cable and linkage

The only way to see how to install one is to see if there is a video online or watch a mechanic do the work. The shift cable does not go bad very often on these vehicles. The most common...

Q: Q: Only drives in reverse

Hi. Your transmission has an internal problem with either the valve body, shift solenoid, clutches or torque converter. The only way to fix this problem is to rebuild the transmission or replace it with a new one. Sometimes a transmission...

Related articles

How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...
How Much Does a Mechanic Make in Vermont?
Automotive technician jobs in Vermont have an average mechanic salary of $37k, with some mechanics earning a salary of $53k.