Q: P2402

What is the most common cause for this default code? I have already had my hoses replaced by my dealership and the check engine light is back on the P2402 -EVAP Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High. Do I most likely need a new N80 purge valve?

Thank you.

A: Hello and thanks for your question. The cod...

Hello and thanks for your question. The code P2402 is usually caused by EVAP control system pump current goes higher than specified. The evaporative system pump could be drawing too many amps or the pump motor has a short in its wiring harness.

First, you will need to check to see if there is any fuses that are blown. If there are fuses blown, replace them and recheck the Engine Light.

Next, check that evaporative pump relay for if it is working. Check for any corrosion on the contacts to the relay. If there is no corrosion on any part of the circuitry to the evaporative pump relay and the evaporative pump harness, the relay is functional, and the fuses are in good shape, then you would need to replace the evaporative pump. I recommend having a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the Check Engine Light and pinpoint the correct repairs that need to be made.