Q: Transmission problem 1998 Ford Explorer

I have a 98 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 automatic and when I put it in drive to drive it it is staying in high gear and will not shift gears

A: Hello. The most likely cause is with the sh...

Hello. The most likely cause is with the shift solenoids in transmission and/or valve body components.

It is also possible that you could have an external electrical problem because the PCM also controls shift points. However, the most common causes are within the transmission, involving components such as the valve body and shift solenoids. If you would like to have this checked for you, a qualified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the shifting problem and advise you on a repair.