Q: Engine steam and antifreeze leak - 1976 Mercedes Benz 450SL

My car sat for several years without being used. When I took it out of the garage, I had the oil, coolant and gas checked. It all looked fine as well as the spark plugs. After I connected the battery, I started the car without any problems. For several days, I would start the engine and let it run for a short while. The last time I did that, it ran longer because I forgot to turn it off. When I went to the car, the engine was steaming. There was a significant amount of antifreeze under it. I let it cool down and refilled the antifreeze. I didn't attempt to start the car since then. Several days later, there was antifreeze leaked under the car again. What damage has this caused and what should I do?

Hello. This sounds like the water pump, radiator, radiator hoses, or even one of the heater hoses, have started to leak. It is also possible that the gasket to the thermostat could have a leak as well. It doesn’t sound like there has been a lot of damage to the engine. It sounds like it just overheated and needs a leak repaired. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection for leaks to pinpoint the problem.

3. Engine steam and antifreeze leak - 1976 Mercedes Benz 450SL