Q: trying to refill ac but the compressor will not kick in is there away to bypass the compressor

asked by on April 29, 2017

trying to refill ac but the compressor will not kick in is there away to bypass the compressor

AC is not working Inspection $96.46 - $106.46 Get a Quote

If your car is only 4-5 years old and the system is so low on charge that the compressor won’t turn on, that means you have a significant leak. It might be a waste of time to re-charge the system because whatever is added will leak out, possibly fairly quickly. Gauge pressures, high and low side, should be measured. If gauges read 70 PSI or more (static, with car off), that means that the compressor is not coming on for reasons completely unrelated to the state of charge (70 PSI is high enough for compressor to turn on). That is, if system pressure is high enough, and yet no compressor operation, there is something wrong with the compressor and/or the control circuit (clutch, switches, etc.). Another possibility is the system has zero refrigerant in it but is simply filled with air. In that event, the leak(s) must be repaired, the system dryer MUST be replaced, and the system must be thoroughly evacuated and dried out (all moisture boiled off during evacuation). To obtain a diagnostic of your system and find out what needs to be restored to get it to function please request a/c system service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.