Q: Lack of power and idling in 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0.

I've recently purchased a ‘99 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0. with 205,000 miles. It's lacking power and having idle problems. It runs fine while driving, but it often idles extremely low--5 or 600 ipm and occasionally stalls while I'm in traffic.

Those cars have a limited life span. First thing you want to do on the one that’s has 205,000 miles is to get a mechanic and do a wet and dry compression test of the engine. That will tell you in what shape the engine is.

If it does it and says that your engine is flat worn out--sell the car to the next owner and don’t even bother to try to fix it, because it needs a new engine. If he says the engine is in good shape, then a lot of things can go wrong--pressure check the fuel pump, change the fuel filter, and have the fuel injector’s pressure cleaned. There are a lot of things to tune up, but have the engine checked first, because you might just have a flat wearing out, because it will never run perfectly without putting a new engine.

If you would like to have this problem inspected, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose you car’s loss of power issue.