Q: My air only gets cold while I'm driving. What's going on?

My a/c is only cold while I'm driving and pushing the gas. If I'm sitting at a red light it's hot air.

Hi there. One of the most common causes of the symptom you’re describing is when you have a bad or failing AC high pressure hose. The high pressure hose is designed to increase and decrease AC pressure during different driving conditions, since the AC drive belt will increase in speed as the vehicle accelerates.

Basically, the AC high pressure hose is kind of like a turbo for your AC - it supplies more pressure when you’re idling and less pressure when the AC motor is being driven faster while you accelerate.

However, there could be other issues that cause this problem, which is why it’s a good idea to have a local ASE certified mechanic stop by and properly diagnose the AC system for you. Good luck with your 2006 Kia Sedona!