Q: Car won't start when start button is pushed. Single click noise is heard

I have convenience package so the key does not need to be inserted. Tried without inserting the key and with inserted key, same problem. All instruments work, dashboard was lighted, seat was adjusted, steering also adjusted to my position. Car was never in accident and the airbags were never deployed. I measured the voltage on the battery and it registers at 12.04V, the battery was few months new. Also tried jump start with other car and that did not help either.

No specific error code in the computer, there was a yellow engine light and exclamation point in the main dashboard panel but did not tell any other thing.

Single click noise when push button was pressed, which seems like from the solenoid starter? There are so many possibilities of this, could it be a bad starter or something else?

Do you have any idea what else to check before sending it to the dealer/auto repair? If the problem were the starter, what's the typical estimate for this repair? Thank you

Hello, thanks for writing in. A no start condition with a click noise can be caused by a few things. The most common causes are a bad starter relay, or a bad starter or starter solenoid. The starter relay is the component that switches power to the starter circuit, and is usually located in the engine bay. It is not uncommon for relays to produce a clicking noise when they go bad. It may also be possible that the starter motor or solenoid are worn and can no longer properly turn the engine over. I would start by checking the starter relay and going from there. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

• Car won't start when start button is pushed. Single click noise is heard