Q: When my speed reduces to around 30 mph, I feel a semi heavy jerk.

asked by on February 10, 2017

This issue just started Monday Feb 5th. Car drives pretty normal overall. My transmission is not slipping. The only time I feel this is when I go over 30-40 mph and reduce speed back to 30 mph. The cars jerks as if some sort of pressure was lost but feels normal afterwards. At first I thought it was something going on with my brakes. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $467.45 Get a Quote
Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. This is a normal condition to the vehicle. As the transmission wears and gets lots of miles on it, it will tend to make the downshift solenoid work harder and the return spring gets weak. Also, if the engine is throttled hard and then let off and throttled again, the computer will be confused and force the transmission to shift hard into the next gear making the transmission jerk. If the problem continues, I recommend replacing the downshift solenoid and flushing the transmission fluid. A transmission service can solve many issues with transmission with high mileage.

If you need further assistance with your transmission jerking, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr