Q: Car does not start right away

Hi Jeff, my ford focus 2008 does not not start right away. I have to sink the key find the right groove , turn and squeeze a couple of times. Its been on and off like this but its getting worst. The check engine light also comes and goes.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in to us. It sounds ...

Hi, thanks for writing in to us. It sounds like you may potentially have an issue with the ignition switch in your car. Your ignition switch has small tumblers inside of it that fit the grooves in your key very precisely. When these grooves get worn out over time, they become rounded out, and the cut of the key and the tumblers inside the swicth no longer fit as precisely. When this happens, it can cause the security feature of your car to be inadvertently activated. The Check Engine Light may or may not be related to this, but the car will need to be hooked up to a scanner to download the fault codes that have been registered in the car's computer in order to find out. These codes will more precisely narrow down what the issue may be. I would suggest having an expert technician, such as one from YourMechanic, take a look at your vehicle to diagnose your ignition problem.