Q: 1998 Crown Victoria burns a quarter of a quart of oil on 500 mile

I have a 1998 Crown Victoria and the engine burns a quarter of quart of oil, every 500 miles. Is that normal?

A: It’s an old vehicle and depending on the mi...

It’s an old vehicle and depending on the mileage, that’s probably pretty normal. As the engines get old, they are going to burn some more oil. If you don’t see it leaking on the ground and dripping. Using a quarter of a quart of oil every 500 miles, you would see oil dripping on the ground and this is often seen. But as long as it drives okay, you’re okay to keep driving it until you begin to experience any major issues. You probably are not going to rebuild the engine on something that old. That costs too much money.

If you would like to have the car inspected for oil leaks, a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic can conduct proper testing to detect any leaks and make any needed repairs on the car.