Q: Difficulty starting up after filling the gas tank

asked by on July 25, 2016

The car has no issue until I fill the gas tank. After that, it gets difficult to start it up. Also the dashboard shows the service engine light on. As there was no power to the module, I wasn't able to check the service engine warning. Why is this happening?

Hello there. It sounds like you have a few things going on. If there is no power to the DLC connector, then the code readers are not able to read codes stored in the ECU. The most common cause of this is a wiring issue or the DLC connector fuse. Once this is resolved, it may give a better picture of any codes related to the fuel issue.

For the vehicle being hard to start, the most likely cause would be a fuel pump, vent solenoid, fuel filter, or charcoal canister. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the starting fault and perform any repairs required.