Q: U-joint vibration

I've changed the u joint on the rear axle a few months back. Should have changed them all, but I didn't. It's a 4x4. I'm thinking the other joints are going bad as well as there is some excessive vibrations. Worse with higher speeds or highway speeds. When I'm driving and I tap the breaks and let it coast, the vibration stops until I accelerate again. Is that as well indicative for the driveshaft being out of balance because of the i joints? Or another issue. I was thinking about replacing all the joints and the carrier bearing.

A: Worn U-joints installed on a well balanced ...

Worn U-joints installed on a well balanced driveshaft will cause vibration and noise as the whole assembly slaps around while rotating at high speed. However, the cause of the changing amount of vibration during coasting versus acceleration can only be evaluated once it is certain that the U-joints are all in good shape and properly installed. For example, if vibration continues even with new u joints all around, there could be a driveshaft alignment issue and, of course, the cause of the vibration could be elsewhere in quite a few other components. It is fairly easy to evaluate the condition of the remaining u-joints and so checking the ones you did not replace is the first thing to do. You should consider the condition of the front axles as well, whether CV joints or u-joints. If you desire that a certified specialist from YourMechanic perform a U-joint diagnostic and make repair recommendations.