Q: Instrument cluster acts like there is a short in it.

About 6 months ago my instrument cluster was acting up. All the gauges would flicker off and on. I changed the cluster thinking that was the problem and it wasn't. Eventually it completely stop working. Only the turn signals worked. I had all the grounds checked under the hood and tighten. and the fuses checked. Just last night, I hit a pot hole and the gauges started flickering again. I got home and turned off the truck and the airbag light and battery light stayed flickering. I started the truck up again to try to make it stop so it won't drain the battery. And again I killed the truck and it quit. This morning I went in my truck and noticed my security light was flashing( a normal function). I started my truck to warm it up and all the gauges were lit up properly. Working good. As soon as I put it into reverse to back out my driveway. It stopped working again. Could there be another ground somewhere under the truck not near the motor for it to cause this? Or what do You think?

Hi there. There are ground wires in the dash that need to be checked that are related to the instrument panel. See if the ground wires are tight and free of corrosion. Then check the battery cables for that they are tight, not just the clamp, but the entire wire. Tighten any grounds that you find to be loose. If you need further assistance with your instrument panel lights flickering when hitting pot holes in the road, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Instrument cluster acts like there is a short in it.