Q: How do I fix my cruise control?

asked by on November 14, 2016

My cruise control doesn't stay set when I go to use it it turns on and I hit set but once I take my foot off the accelerator it decelerates and the set light turns off

Hello - check all fuses to be sure you don’t have a blown fuse on a related circuit (cruise control, brake lights, ABS system). These can all affect cruise control operation. Make sure your brake lights are working, and that there are not ABS, traction or stability control warning lights or malfunction - any problem here will keep your cruise control from operating as it should. Since you are getting/then losing a cruise control "Set", then release, it is likely the cruise control itself is getting proper power - something else is shutting it off. I would recommend having an inspection of the cruise control completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.