Q: How to use old oil

My uncle owns gallons of motor oil from 1988. Is it good for anything other than recycling?

A: It's hard to say. Oil is pretty mixable...

It's hard to say. Oil is pretty mixable and it stays in the solution pretty well. Gasoline settles down but oil really doesn't. If he has gallons of that stuff, and if you've got lawn mowers, you can try and use that for lawn mowers. They don't need much lubrication. Or put it in oil spray can and use it to lubricate things like chains and things like that.

But I wouldn't recommend using it on a car. It probably wouldn't work and I wouldn't want to chance it, with new oil being as cheap as it is. Use the old oil for other things.