Q: Tire damage? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1OuUJ2C7IHAd1lGTGZwQm5nMnc/view?usp=drivesdk

asked by on April 22, 2017

Hit a curb. Is my tire damaged and does it need to be replaced? Picture of tire: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1OuUJ2C7IHAd1lGTGZwQm5nMnc/view?usp=drivesdk

Without a doubt, that tire should be replaced immediately !! The sidewall is the thinnest and weakest area of the tire and flexes the most. Although tires are steel-belted, the steel belt is only in the tread area. Sidewalls are typically polyester, nylon, rayon, etc. Sidewall repairs are unsafe and typically illegal. No patching or any type of repair will make that tire safe to drive on. Get to your local tire dealer as soon as possible and have it replaced. Consider having road hazard protection on any tires you purchase. I have tire coverage on both of our vehicles. Typically you will get free flat repairs and in the event of a non-repairable tire, you would get a free replacement within a certain time and/or tread depth, and pro-rated replacement afterwards.