Q: Sputtering and lack of power when accelerating

asked by on July 31, 2016

My truck just started to show signs of power loss when accelerating - I threw a code. Bad O2 sensor Bank 2 sensor #1. Can a bad O2 sensor cause the power loss??

Whenever your Check Engine Light is on and a code is set, the ECU resorts to base settings and mapping just to make sure the vehicle runs, but not necessarily the to help the car run well. In this case, it looks like the ECU is not compensating for fuel quality, temperature, barometric pressure, etc.

When it comes to O2 sensors, the ECU uses them to read the amount of oxygen, burnt fuel, etc, in the exhaust and adjusts air/fuel mixture accordingly. If that bank 2 sensor 1 is bad, you can definitely feel a loss of power, hesitation, and poor economy. Check for any intake/vacuum leaks. If none are found, then replacing that O2 sensor and clearing codes should be your answer. If you want to have the loss of power issue diagnosed, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your car’s home or office to pinpoint the fault and recommend the right repair.