Q: The car shakes when idling, stopped, or at low speeds

The car shakes when idling, stopped, or at low speeds. I opened the hood and noticed that the engine itself is shaking.

A: Hello. If the engine runs fine at high spee...

Hello. If the engine runs fine at high speeds and this only occurs at idle, then most of the time it is because of a vacuum leak. If there is a leaking gasket or vacuum hose, then this will occur. It can also be worn out engine mounts. If the engine acts like this even at higher speeds then it may have a cylinder misfire. A mechanic would start by checking for loose vacuum hoses and then using a computer scan tool to check for codes. Any computer codes would help locate the problem. If this was something that you planned on having taken care of, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office and inspect the shaking situation with your vehicle.