Q: Can I use Mobil 1 extended performance 5w-30 oil

asked by on May 07, 2017

Can I use Mobil 1 5w-30 extended performance oil & Mobil M103a oil filter on my 1999 Toyota Corolla. It currently has 176,894miles on it. Can I safely go the full 20,000miles before changing the oil again? I put an average of 600 Hwy miles per week on my car. I still get 34mpg, less when I run the A/C. Great car!!

Mobile 1 is a very good oil and I’ve used it in my personal cars for years, but I wouldn’t leave anything in my engine for 20,000 miles. I think the claims they make are somewhat exaggerated. If not that ,the claims are made for perfect conditions. There are certain combustion by-products that build up in your crankcase as time goes by and they are rough on your oil and your engine components. That’s the point behind oil changes. An oil change purges the unwanted waste that has built up in your crankcase oil, and with an older car like yours, there will be considerably more combustion leakage and build up of nasty chemicals in your crankcase than in a newer car. Synthetic oils tolerate these chemicals better than the petroleum based oils, but there are limits to everything. Personally, I use a synthetic in my Toyota Tundra and change it every 6 to 7 thousand miles and I think if you want maximum life out of your Toyota, you should too. You can schedule an oil change at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to Change your oil right there on the spot.