Q: Q: Trip meter not working

Replaced my oil the other day and they recommended a new battery. I decided to get a new battery installed as well. Then, I noticed my trip meter constantly rolls over 000000, then 111111, then 222222, then 333333 and so on, back to 000000 and keeps with this cycle. Also, my check engine light just came on. Is this all from a new battery being installed?

Other than the above the car is in good condition and has no prior issues. Just wondering if the new battery installment caused the engine light to come on and the trip meter not to work properly. Thank you.

Hi There, The new battery installation should not have affected the reading on your odometer. This could be related to a couple of possibilities. The [instrument voltage regulator]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/instrument-voltage-regulator-replacement) regulates the voltage supplied to the various gauges in your vehicle’s dash. When this is not working properly, this may cause the gauges in your dash to dim or flicker erratically or in some cases provide false readings. This may also be caused by a faulty instrument gauge cluster. This may also be caused by a faulty transmission speed sensor. The speed sensor reads the rotational speed of the reluctor wheel, located within the transmission. When this is not working properly, you may notice erratic tachometer readings, the speedometer not working properly or the odometer not working properly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Q: Trip meter not working