Q: My vehicle does not want to stay on, I disconnected the TPS and it stays on but the rpm jumps up and down. I've recently replaced

asked by on September 29, 2016

Like I mentioned before the vehicle stalls out almost immediately after the car starts. I disconnected the TPS and it stayed on, is there anything that I can do to fix this, it's been an on going problem for months now

If the RPM’s struggle to remain stable, this suggests you may have a vacuum leak or a fuel supply problem. I would recommend plugging the throttle position sensor back in in order to properly trace the problem. The car may run ok at idle without it, but it will not run well (or at all) when the RPM’s are elevated for an extended period of time. The idle air control valve is a unit that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly, the car will struggle to run or idle as you describe. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the stalling problem so that this can be corrected appropriately.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr