Q: Losing refrigerant through seal on compressor

The clutch is engaging, but is losing refrigerant through the seal on the compressor.

If the seal on your compressor has started to leak refrigerant, the compressor must be replaced. If the air conditioning system is unable to store the correct amount of refrigerant in the system, it will not function properly. I would recommend having your compressor replaced by a professional and then have your air conditioning system evacuated and recharged.

During this process, most of the moisture and any remaining refrigerant will be removed from the system. Afterwards a fresh and full charge of the correct refrigerant will be added to the system. Ensure that the system is checked for additional leaks once this procedure is done. If all leaks are gone, the air conditioning system should perform properly unless other issues exist. It is also a standard procedure to replace the accumulator, or receiver-drier, whenever the compressor is replaced.

3. Losing refrigerant through seal on compressor