Q: I put a new water pump and new thermostat and its still running hot. now the serpentine belt had broken off. what's wrong with car

I put a new water pump and thermostat on the car now the serpentine belt has broken. And is still running hot. Can u tell me why the car is running hot

A: Hi there. What you’re describing sounds lik...

Hi there. What you’re describing sounds like you may have a serpentine belt, pulley, or another belt driven component that has failed. The water pump is driven by the serpentine belt and cannot circulate the engine coolant if the belt has broken.

Check all of your driven pulleys to see if any of them have resistance that could have caused the belt to break. If all the driven pulleys check ok, you may simply need to have the belt replaced so that the water pump can operate properly. If the engine is still running hot after the belt replacement, there could be some underlying issues such as a restricted radiator or inoperative cooling fans.

If you need assistance, YourMechanic has several technicians available to perform an inspection for the vehicle running hot.