Q: I need some answers in order to get my permit. please help

i am working on getting my permit. I need some answers from a mechanic in order to continue...

1. How often should a new automobile be serviced? What about an older model?

2. What should i expect in a routine service. What kinds of parts should be changed?

3. What can happen if a vehicle isn't serviced regularly?

4. Which is better, natural or synthetic oil. Can i switch between the two?

5. Are fuel additives helpful? Why or why not?

6. How should I, the driver, be in routine auto maintenance?

7. What are some important maintenance steps should I take apart from bringing the vehicle in to a professional?

A: Hello. Let's get these questions answer...

Hello. Let's get these questions answered for you.

1. All vehicles should be serviced per the manufacturers maintenance schedule. The owners manual contains this schedule that is set up to best maintain the service of any vehicle. There is no difference between older and newer cars when it comes to this.

2. Routine maintenance is typically fluid changed. The engine oil would be the most often. Also, regular inspections of the vehicle will assist in avoiding any serious issues. Parts like brakes and suspension or steering parts as well as tires are all part of normal wear items that will consistently need to be changed over time.

3. If the vehicles not serviced regularly then you can have multiple, costly failures in any system of the vehicle.

4. The type of oil depends on what the manufacturer recommends. Stick with what they recommend and do not switch between the two types of oils.

5. Fuel additives can be helpful in keeping the fuel system clean, but they are not typically necessary if you use a good quality fuel in the vehicle.

6. As a vehicle owner you should make it a point to check the fluids and the tire pressure about once a week.

7. When taking the vehicle to a mechanic always make sure it is a certified mechanic with a good reputation. Always avoid shops that are not certified. If you are looking for a mechanic, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to maintain your vehicle.