Q: Do I need to put the engine out of the car to replaced the water pump, and should I replace the timing chain? 2010 Lincoln MKX

asked by on March 07, 2017

Strong noise from the engine compartment, car is drivable no over heating. Local mechanic said possible water pump. No leaks at all. Does a decent mechanic can do the job? or special tools are required? Dealer is over priced. Car has 100K miles, Lincoln MKX 2010. Thank you so much

Water Pump Replacement $171.86 - $1147.02 Get a Quote

Hi there - unfortunately, the high repair estimate for a water pump for this engine is legitimate. The water pump is driven by the timing chain, which means MUCH more disassembly is required, with all the headaches, and special tools required for resetting the cam timing, etc. Since the engine sits sideways (transverse) in this model, access to the "front" of the engine (passenger side of the vehicle) is non-existent, removing the engine is arguably a better approach for this job. YES, if you’re doing the water pump, do anything that even remotely looks like it needs attention for the cam timing gear. It will save money later on by avoiding repeated high labor cost. I recommend a water pump replacement and a timing chain service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.