Q: 1992 S10 pickup 4.3ltr V6 misfires bad and continues to destroy distributor caps

The truck in question misfires horribly and seems to do it moreso when under load. I’ve replaced everything I can think of that is part of this ignition system. Cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, and even the distributor itself. When I replace the cap & rotor, the misfire seems to go away. But there no telling for how long. Last time I did it I didn’t even make it 5 miles! When I pull the cap, I find that the center pin/stud on the inside of the distributor cap is broken and/or sheared off and last time all 6 of the contacts inside the cap had turned green. I can’t find anything online that talks about an issue like this and I am getting so damn frustrated I could scream 🤬😤. Please help if you have any ideas. It is an awesome truck in excellent condition otherwise. I am only just the second owner and when I bought it in 2017 it only had 86,000 miles on it.

Thank You,

Marc Stickney Owner/Operator Take A Break! Lawncare & Landscape takeabreak253@gmail.com

Misfiring can be ignition or fuel related, not to mention the mechanical (engine condition) causes. If the air fuel ratio is off due to lean operation for example (vacuum leak, fuel pump failing, etc.) the engine may misfire. To distinguish between fuel and ignition related causes of misfiring, the secondary firing patterns of each cylinder can be viewed on an oscilloscope. With regard to the distributor, a center electrode fracture is caused by mechanical damage and is not a ignition system issue. To get this situation resolved once and for all, a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, can perform the required diagnostic if you request a misfiring diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. 1992 S10 pickup 4.3ltr V6 misfires bad and continues to destroy distributor caps