Q: My Speed Sensor is not working-

IT ON THE diagnostic machine.THE CODE CAME UP AS A SPEED SENSOR OUT. SO I REPLACED IT. THE CAR WAS BdACK TO NORMAL WHEN I GOT TO WORK IT WAS DOING THE SAME THING IT WAS DOING BE FOR I REPLACED THE PIECE.SO I TOOK IT BACK TO THE MECHANIC AND I PURCHASED ANOTHER SPEED SENSOR.NOW. MY CAR IS BACK TO NORMAL. WHAT WOULD MAKE A BRAND NEW SPEED SENSOR CRACK? WHEN THE MECHANIC TOOK OUT THE NEW PART HE PUT IN TWO DAYS BE FOR WAS CRACKED.

Sensors are made of plastic and plastic doesn’t like to be warmed and cooled. Which is exactly what is happening you your car everyday. Normally, plastics will last a 100,000 miles or so. With a new sensor, it is not out of the ordinary for there to be a manufacturing flaw that leads to premature failure due to the previously mentioned warming and cooling effect. This is known in the industry as heat cycling.

Additionally, there may have been a hair line crack from the get go that simply made it fail prematurely. Hopefully the mechanic warrantied the part and labor for you. Any reputable shop should do so under such a circumstance. If it fails prematurely again, the mounting of the sensor needs to be inspected closely. Without seeing the nature of the failure, I can’t offer much else. A picture is worth a thousand words so to speak.

If you continue to have problems with your speed sensor and would like to try us out, I recommend the following inspection; Speed sensor replacement to get it back working again.

Good luck!