Q: Car won't start until lights go off after key is in on position.

Hello, Every morning I have to keep my car in the key ON position for about 15-20 min. During this time, it looks like it does some circuit check as all lights show up and go off, but the check engine light stays on. After the waiting period of 15-20 minutes, check engine light goes off. When the light goes off, there is a sound which kinda feels like the circuit is complete and the current is now flowing and there is a small click sound. Now if I crank my engine, it will start immediately, but it will not start if I try to crank it during the waiting period when the check engine light is on. Then all day it starts up almost immediately as the check engine light(or initial circuit test) is completed immediately in key ON position. I have just replaced a new battery but it did not help. I would very much like to know why this happens and what should I do to fix it. Thanks.

My car has an automatic transmission. My car is 1996 Honda Accord LX Coupe.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The Check Engine Light can be one of the most confusing warnings in your dashboard cluster because it offers no explanation as to why you suddenly need to check your engine. It sounds ominous and can be as serious as a malfunctioning catalytic converter or as trivial as a loose gas cap. However, it’s not possible to diagnose why the light comes on or there are other electrical issues, without being there to complete a check engine light inspection. This will permit a mechanic to download all the stored error codes that are triggering the warning light, and hopefully pinpoint the root source of the issue; to the right repairs can be made.