Q: Rebuilt 350 engine rebuilt Quadrajet carburetor with new computer. Nothing will connect to the computer, which is effecting my transmission.

Original engine when purchased at 18 years old had 64,000 miles. It was is Pennsylvania and since owning 6 caprices all my life which all gave great service. Turns out original spark plugs still in and it wasn't till hitting 143 thou miles when the lifters could not be settled down from clatter. Purchased a new rebuilt 350 as could not find a 305 installed along with the rebult carb. While the old computer original engine and rebuilt carb all was good. Only when the 350 when installed was when the issue of 10 mpg got me to take it to electrical experts even bit the bullet and took to friendly GM service. 2 days later they wanted $1800 to install a new gm carb which in non existent . Didn't even charge me the $125 estimate charge I even purchased the computer for ob1 and ob2 no luck Engine stalls at will mostly at stop signs but scares when it just quits turning a corner. Question, 3 computers electric experts can't seem to find why the computer is not connection? Wirering or bad carb.

Hi there. Check the wiring to the carburetor and see if the choke is coming on or staying off. The computer controlled carburetors are designed to meter the choke and fuel jets. If the wiring to the carburetor has power and a ground, then check the throttle position sensor (TPS) on the carburetor. The TPS could be failing causing the engine to stall out as it may be cutting off the fuel to the power valve in the carburetor. Electronic carburetors are the vision before the EFI was installed and is known as the system before EFI. If you need further assistance with your carburetor, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Rebuilt 350 engine rebuilt Quadrajet carburetor with new computer. Nothing will connect to the computer, which is effecting my transmission.