Q: Ignition not turning

The ignition switch on my car does not work. The key slides into the ignition, but the starter interlock will not allow the key to turn.I have tried turning the steering wheel to unbind the mechanism, made sure the shifter was placed fully in park, tried both keys, and jiggled the key pins, just in case they were stuck. None of this has worked.

A: Lets look at what may be happening and see ...

Lets look at what may be happening and see what we can do to get this issue fixed. The first thing we want to verify is the battery voltage. It is possible you have a drained or weak battery. You can take a voltmeter and check battery voltage to see if it is low or weak. You have already unbound the column to make sure it wasn’t pressure from the way the wheels were turned and you have also tried both sets of keys. If the battery voltage was good and everything else checked out, your problem may be with the lock cylinder portion of the ignition switch.

Also, you may want to check your key chain. If there are an excessive amount of rings and tools that weigh down it down, this added weight puts constant pressure on your key as it rides in the lock cylinder causing uneven pressure on the tumblers, which could leads to problems such as yours. I would recommend having a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your ignition to come up with the repairs to get your car back on the road.