Q: Engine stalls. Then after 5 minutes or so it will start back up.

asked by on March 04, 2017

After starting the engine I can drive the car for a few blocks then the engine stalls. Wait for 5 minutes the car will start. I can rev the engine with no problem, put it in gear and try to take off the engine dies. One shop said it was the alternator and replaced it. That did not solve the problem. Any ideas?

Either there is an issue with the brake system or the transmission. If the brake system is free and you can push the vehicle is neutral, then the issue lies with the transmission. The transmission may have a clutch that is slipping or have more than one clutch coming on. Also, if the torque converter is failing, the engine will stall out as the vehicle is moving trying to build up torque. This would be like trying to take off is high gear on a manual transmission, which most likely will stall the engine. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission.