Q: Replacing timing chain 2004 Mazda 6

I just had my water pump replaced. for mazds 6 recently. the first mechanic didn't tell me that the timing chain should be replaced aswell if water pump is been replaced.I WAS TOLD THAT THE timing chain should be replaced after water pump has been replace wen i pick up the car. seem to me the mechanic is trying yo charge me for labour for water pump and timing chain separately. wat other parts should be replaced wen replacing the timing chain.

Hello - if the mechanic waited until the car was re-assembled after the water pump job to suggest timing chain repair, then "yes", s/he was not doing you any favor. Doing the timing chain repair separately is essentially repeating the labor. There are a number of related parts involved in a timing chain service: the timing chain itself, one or more timing chain guides, a tensioner, an idler puller(sometimes), and various o-rings and seals. Many parts manufacturers package these as a "kit", and the technician simply orders the correct kit for your engine in order to be sure they get all the right bits. I recommend a timing chain service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.