Q: Air conditioner compressor bearing clacks when air on

The air conditioner compressor bearing clacks when the air is on.

Hello. It is common for the compressor clutch to make this noise as the vehicle ages. The clutch clearance widens over time which makes it harder for the clutch to firmly engage. In some cases, the clutch can be slightly adjusted with shims, but in most cases the only way to get rid of the noise is by replacing the compressor assembly. A mechanic would start by checking the clutch to see if it can be adjusted. If this is something that you plan on having someone check, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to check it out.

3. Air conditioner compressor bearing clacks when air on