Q: Would a rack and pinion cause an engine to not work properly

Having a mechanic replacing my motor cylinder 4 had a hole blown thru. But he is telling me that the pressures arent right and i need a rack and pinion any truth to this??

Hi There, The rack and pinion is not in any way related to the engine other than the fact that the engine is what turns the power steering pump via the serpentine belt. There may be some truth to the pressure in the power steering system he may be referring to. If there is excessive pressure in the power steering system causing it to leak, this may be a result of a rack and pinion that may need to be replaced, however this would not have any impact on the way the motor runs. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to perform an independent inspection of your vehicle.

3. Would a rack and pinion cause an engine to not work properly