Q: What would cause 2 main computers to be bad within 6months

6months ago van began studdering and blowing fuel. Injector. wire harness was melted-had it replaced. Still ran rough. Was told computer was bad. Main computer was replaced. Ran ok for about 3 months then began to feel rough while idle. Eventually started jumping while. driving. second mechanic said first computer must been bad bc needed new one. Replaced again. A week later it stopped accelerating while driving, stalled out and wouldnt restart. Towed to mechanic who says computer Again but no idea whats killing these computers.

A: This does sound like a very frustrating exp...

This does sound like a very frustrating experience. Unfortunately it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what is causing your computer to go bad without knowing what kind of computers have been installed in your vehicle.

Aftermarket, used or refurbished computers tend to have many more issues compared to a new computer that comes directly from the manufacturer. From my experience, I have found that it is not uncommon for computers on Chryslers to go bad often. Very often, drastic change in weather, such as extreme heat and cold, can cause the cold solder joints on the circuit board of the computer to expand and contract, resulting in bad connections. Incorrect charging voltage will also reek havoc on your Chrysler’s electrical system as well.

For your particular situation, I would recommend taking your vehicle to the dealership to have them diagnose and replace your car’s computer with a dealer part. My reason for this recommendation is to regulate quality control on the parts being installed on the vehicle, as well as the warranty that will go with the repair.

Most independent shops repair and replace computers with used, or refurbished and sometimes aftermarket, parts. Their intentions are to try to save you money but sometimes this isn’t always the best solution.